From Shop to Café
Originally there was a groceries shop in front of the trappisten convent
which was converted partially in 1923 to a bar by Jef en Amelie Vinck-Wens and their children.
They leased the shop of the Trappists. They paid the monks a restricted sum of money, 2 loads of manure and one bottle of gin.
After the death of father Vinck he sisters Gusta, Martha, Irma and Joske Vinck took over the business and since then it stayed in the family.
Up to 1971 visitors to the abbey could enjoy boardinghouse above the bar. In 1973, whereas the preparations of the 50-one year old existence of the bar were beïng prepared, A fire destroyed the upperfloor and the living area.
After the father Jos Verhoeven passed away, who had married Gusta Vinck, the café was passed on to their children. Lily Verhoeven who married Charles van Riel are still working here today together with Johan Willekens and his wife Nancy Smet.